Monday, November 7, 2016

Swell - Anthony McCall

 I was lucky enough to view this installation at the NVMoMA before it was taken down. The installation, called Swell, is an experiment using "solid light" where two lights interact with smoke screens which give the sensation of being in water. The smoke screens move slowly in the room which acts as it's own unique environment. It was an interesting installation, to say the least. My friend and I decided to test out different perspectives in the room and it truly did feel as if we were standing in water at some points. It also felt like we were standing in the clouds.

As the light evolves, the space becomes a completely different environment, and I was compelled to feel like I was changing with it. The feeling was a little dizzying, but it was fun to mess around in the room and use our bodies to interact with the light. I thought it was particularly interesting that this is the same type of technology used in light shows at concerts, but I had taken it for granted until I interacted with this installation. It was a great idea to utilize the concept.


No comments:

Post a Comment